Professional Continuing Education Webinars
The webinars have been designed as continuing education for registered dietitians, but they are open to anyone!
Oct - Dec 2020 Webinar Series
The Food Avoidance & Sensitivity Trap (FAST) is a model that I developed to conceptualize how worry (nocebo effect) and food avoidance lead to conditioned food hypersensitivity (a limbic system overreaction to food).
- Understand the FAST model and how it is driven by fear conditioning.
- Identify clients that may be stuck in the FAST.
- Compare physically-driven and conditioned reactions.
- Recognize the destructive consequences of food fear.
Food sensitivity clients are often frustrated by their futile search for a “safe diet” and are unaware that most of their suffering may be a result of being stuck in the FAST. Health professionals can help their clients break-free and end their restricted diet struggles.
- Engage clients in transformative discussions to help them recognize and let go of their destructive food beliefs.
- Encourage clients to think objectively about the restricted diet information they have been following.
- Help clients recognize how food fear has trapped them in a never-ending restrictive diet cycle
Food fear is rampant in our society and can devastate a person’s quality of life. Health professionals often contribute to this fear. We need to be aware of these risks and be mindful about minimizing them.
- Reflect on the potential for your messages to exacerbate food fear.
- Recognize when food restriction information/recommendations are likely to harm your client.
- Help clients with restricted and elimination diets, responsibly.
- Encourage health professionals that provide fearful food messages to consider the damaging effects of their practice.